The Nitto ATP Finals has a round-robin format, with eight players/teams divided into two groups of four. The eight seeds are determined by the ATP Rankings and ATP Doubles Team Rankings on the Monday after the last ATP World Tour tournament of the calendar year. All singles matches are the best of three tie-break sets, including the final. All doubles matches are two sets (no ad) and a Match Tie-break.
The top seeded players/team is placed in Group A and the second seeded player/team is placed in Group B. Players/teams seeded 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8, are then drawn in pairs with the first drawn placed in Group A. Each player/team plays the three other players/teams in his group. The winner of each group (best overall record) is placed in separate semi-final brackets, with the top player/team in Group A playing the runner-up in Group B, and vice versa. If two or more players/teams are tied after the round robin matches, the ties are broken by the Tie-Break Procedure.
The Finals Club, launched by the ATP in 2015, celebrates past champions and the heritage of the season-ending tournament since its inception in 1970, with the group names changing each year to reflect a specific decade.In 2018 this was highlighted by the renaming of Groups A and B for both the singles and doubles in honour of players that made an indelible mark on the tournament in the 1990s.
- Group A was named in honour of Gustavo Kuerten, the 2000 winner.
- Group B was named in honour of Lleyton Hewitt, the 2001-2002 winner.
- Group A was named in honour of Knowles/Nestor, the 2007 winners.
- Group B was named in honour of Llodra/Santoro, the 2005 winners.
The 2019 group names will be announced later in the year.
Semi-final Qualifying ProcedureThe final standings of each group is determined by the first of the following methods that apply:
a) Greatest number of wins;
b) Greatest number of matches played;
Comment: 2-1 won-loss record beats a 2-0 won-loss record; a 1-2 record beats a 1-0 record.
c) Head-to-head results if only two (2) players are tied,
d) If three (3) players are tied, then...
- Cancer Research UK & Nitto ATP Finals Team Up To Help Beat Cancer
- Race Update: Berrettini & Zverev Lead Battle For Final Two London Spots
- Medvedev Masters Shanghai, Beats Zverev For Title
- Soares/Pavic Lift Maiden Team Title In Shanghai
- Kubot/Melo Book Their Spot At 2019 Nitto ATP Finals