The Nitto ATP Finals has a round-robin format, with eight players/teams divided into two groups of four. The eight seeds are determined by the ATP Rankings and ATP Doubles Team Rankings on the Monday after the last ATP World Tour tournament of the calendar year. All singles matches are the best of three tie-break sets, including the final. All doubles matches are two sets (no ad) and a Match Tie-break.
The top seeded players/team is placed in Group A and the second seeded player/team is placed in Group B. Players/teams seeded 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8, are then drawn in pairs with the first drawn placed in Group A. Each player/team plays the three other players/teams in his group. The winner of each group (best overall record) is placed in separate semi-final brackets, with the top player/team in Group A playing the runner-up in Group B, and vice versa. If two or more players/teams are tied after the round robin matches, the ties are broken by the Tie-Break Procedure.
This year’s groups will be named as follows:
- Group Tokyo 1970, the inaugural year of the Nitto ATP Finals, will feature the No. 1 seed
- Group London 2020, the 12th and final year at The O2 in London, will feature the No. 2 seed
- Group Bob Bryan, the 2003-04, ‘09 and ‘14 winner, will feature the No. 1 seed
- Group Mike Bryan, the 2003-04, ’09, ’14 and ‘18 winner, will feature the No. 2 seed
Semi-final Qualifying ProcedureThe final standings of each group is determined by the first of the following methods that apply:
a) Greatest number of wins;
b) Greatest number of matches played;
Comment: 2-1 won-loss record beats a 2-0 won-loss record; a 1-2 record beats a 1-0 record.
c) Head-to-head results if only two (2) players are tied,
d) If three (3) players are tied, then...
- How One Point Changed The Face Of The Medvedev-Thiem Final
- WhatsApp and Formula 1: Medvedev’s First 24 Hours As Nitto ATP Finals Champion
- Brain Game: Why Daniil Is Russian To Net
- Thiem Targeting New Heights After ‘Intense’ 2020 Season
- Medvedev: ‘It Was The Toughest Victory In My Life’